No, this post is not homage to Metallica. It’s about things that are generally sad but true.
- For example, it’s sad but true that all my free time is currently dedicated to writing my dissertation instead of blog posts.
- It’s also sad but true that I got out of the car today and stepped in what I thought was mud. Not mud; cow pie. Ew.
- Lee witnessed a group of 15 women today “sign” some paperwork to set up an SHG. It’s sad but true that only four of the women could sign their name; 11 had to give their thumbprint.
- It’s sad but true that there are some castes here that forbid women to leave their homes for the purpose of earning income that will help feed, clothe, and educate their children.
- It’s sad but true that one lady said to me today, “If I got a job or started a business, my status in the family would be decreased.”
- It’s sad but true to think that such “backward ways” (as Margi put it) also exist in parts of the US and other “developed” countries.
- It’s sad that I am not brave enough to take these village people up on their offer of lunch ... but it’s true.
Okay, enough of that.
How about some funny things?
- Today, a village woman insisted Soma (Tata fieldworker), Margi, and I have a cold drink. When she brought in an unlabeled plastic bottle with a yellowish-gray liquid and stuff floating around inside, I muttered to Margi, “There is NO FREAKIN’ WAY ...” Sometimes it’s good that no one understands English around here.
- On Sunday, Lee, Margi, and I went to Dwarka where we visited a hugely important Hindu temple. Then, we went to the seashore where we witnessed massive stormy waves, a lighthouse, and three decorated camels sitting in a row. Lee stood next to a camel for a photo and bent his head down toward the camel’s head. Just as I was about to snap the picture, the camel turned and kissed Lee’s head. I tried to get the camel to do it to me, but it wouldn’t ... and five minutes later, it bit a guy’s hand.
One happy thing:
- My little brother Shane graduated from college on Saturday. I am SO PROUD OF YOU, Shane.
And a happy thing combined with a stupid thing:
- Sean bought a plane ticket to come here on the 20th August. Yay! But, the Indian High Commission has changed the rules (again!) and he might not get his visa. Boo! (To put it lightly.)
***
Alright ... it’s sad but true, not funny, not happy, and definitely stupid that I need to get back to work on my dissertation now. Catcha later, alligators.