Sunday, 6 July 2008

A Day of Rest

Today was a calm day. Sunday is the town’s only day off, so most people stay in and rest. We had hoped to travel with the three other Indian interns (from Indian universities) to the neighboring town of Dwarka, but it didn’t work out. So, we spent most of the day in our rooms in the hotel. Thank God I have my computer here with me. It’s a great source of entertainment … solitaire, hearts, music … not to mention all my diary writing and schoolwork.

At 5, Lee, Jamal, and I met downstairs and took a 3 hour walk to the beach. We went to the other end of the beach than we did last time. It was about a 45 minute walk to get there along a river on which some men were fishing. On the way, we saw more flamingos, painted storks, and herons. When we arrived, the beach was pristine, almost deserted. There is a lot of coral here … not especially nice coral, but when the tide is out as it was this evening, you can walk on the coral and find little crabs and sea snails in the tidal pools. We then crossed over a small dam and found ourselves on a hill where there was a little temple, which was decorated with many bright colors, including pink, purple, and lime green. A group of people were in the courtyard of this temple praying and burning incense.

I enjoy walking to the beach and exploring the land here. It’s dusty and barren, but there’s lots of wildlife. I’m also amassing a collection of seashells … probably the best kind of souvenir of this place. It’s not exactly a tourist town …

Now, I need to work on a paper for school. Boo …

I left England one week ago today … eight more weeks left (to go?).